Tech

Is your family safe from carbon monoxide?

If you have a security system, your family is protected from external threats. But, have you thought about the lurking internal threats?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can poison, and kill you. Did you know that more than 25,000 Americans are affected by carbon monoxide exposure each year? Among those exposures, more than 500 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

As the weather begins to cool down, the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning becomes greater. Winter months such as December, January, and February, account for 36% of deaths by CO poisoning. So, what can you do to keep you and your family safe?

Get a sensor

With a carbon monoxide detector, you’ll know as soon as there is CO present in your home. This device can be integrated into your current security system, so it will be monitored just like the rest of your home. You will be notified of any alarm, tamper, or battery condition messages that will occur, so you won’t miss a thing.

Service your systems

You can prevent possible CO poisoning by having your heating system, water heater, and any other gas appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. This is especially important as the seasons start to change, since your heating system or gas fireplace hasn’t been in operation for a few months.

Vent properly

Every home has some gas appliances, so it’s important to make sure they are all properly vented. A simple way to make sure your pipes are in the right place is to make sure that horizontal vent pipes go up as they go outdoors, such as on a water heater. This will prevent a carbon monoxide leak if you notice that the joints or pipes aren’t fitted properly.

Check your chimney

Even if you don’t use your fireplace very often, your chimney should be checked at least once a year. Chimneys can become clogged or blocked off, which can cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home. If you start using your fireplace more often, your chimney needs to be cleaned.

Know the symptoms

If you suspect there may be a CO leak in your home, be aware of what the symptoms look like. Carbon monoxide poisoning is commonly “flu-like.” The most common symptoms are usually headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. So, as long as you know what to look out for, you can get medical attention right away.

Especially in the winter months, it’s important to start thinking about how to protect your family from more than burglary. A carbon monoxide detector is the first step in preventing harm, so what are you waiting for?

 

 

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close